LilySlim Weight loss tickers

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Tuesday, 4 January 2011

At the end of my Heather

So I finally got so fed up of wearing this Cloak of Lard that I'm doing something about it.  My main goal is to get fit and to do so I need to drop the weight that is quite literally holding me back in life:
I have a wardrobe full of lovely clothes I can't fit into (and by "lovely" I mean bike shorts, goretex trousers and maybe a pair of jeans rather than designer dresses!).  My boobs threaten to strangle me when I lie down to sleep at night and get in the way on the bike and rowing machine.  The other day they sneakily undid one of the buttons on the blouse I'd squeezed into and started winking at people in the office without my knowledge until one kind lady pointed out their appearance.  I'm not able to properly enjoy things that make me happy like mountain biking and hiking because I'm constantly on the verge of a Basil Fawlty-style tantrum at my lack of fitness. 
I'm getting increasingly hermit-like in my social interactions because I have nothing to wear and feel embarrassed meeting new people.  I realise this is ridiculous as it's not like I'm at the stage where I have to be air-lifted from my house by a team of elephant handlers.  Also my friends and family don't give a toss what I look like and are lovely, supportive and motivating people who I'm lucky to have.  They just want me to be happy and come out to play so it's up to me to make that happen.  I've been through a lot of changes in the last three years (during which time I've put on 3 stone) and it would be such a shame to go through all that and then miss out on the best things in life.
So here's the plan:
I'm having a personal training session every Friday morning. I've started about twenty different fitness plans of my own design over the past few years and failed miserably at all of them because I tend to go all out and get injured or lose the will to live.  So I figured I needed help from someone who could organise my exercise and nutrition into a realistic and sensible plan.  I found a trainer who does sessions within a bike ride distance from my house so I can even get there if it snows!  For the first month I have a workout to do 3 times a week inbetween my sessions with him.  These involve some foam roller activation exercises, stretches and then circuits of body-weight exercises such as squats, lunges, press-ups etc but all with an element of balance involved. There is no rest between sets so I'm out of breath the whole time getting a double-whammy workout.  On top of that I have committed to doing 3 cardio sessions of bike rides, walks, rowing or jogs per week.  In theory I should be exercising every day, even if it's just a 30minute walk.  That should leave a lot less time for eating, drinking and sitting on my arse doing nothing.  I also want to get away from my desk during the day as work stress was really making my life a misery last year.  I was eating breakfast and lunch at my desk and hardly moving all day.

For January I have an additional goal of not drinking any alcohol because at least half my calorie intake has been in the liquid form over the last year so it's a really easy way to cut down.  It's going to be really difficult as I seem to have associated drinking a glass of wine (followed by 3 more) with celebrating, comiserating, a confidence boost, helping me relax etc etc. I need to break that habit and it will have heaps of other benefits like better sleep, more energy and saving money to pay for the personal training.

Well I guess I've gone and done the first post now so there's no going back! 

1 comment:

Pedalling Polarcherry said...

the end of not being fit and not being your perfect weight but don't change anything else! :)

Post a Comment